Friday, October 2, 2015

Baby Huey : Mighty! Mighty!

 

   My apologies to the readers!  It was only a short time after the posting of my last entry, that I found myself participating in the Gastown Grand Prix bicycle race.  And it was in this race that I broke a handful of fingers over both hands.  Meaning to say, that I have not been able to write nor type for some time.  Mes amis, the short long version is that a renowned bicycle mechanic from Norway happened to be in town, and wanted me to test a new frame design prototype.  The frame performed well...I however, did not.  It was during a sharp corner that I changed my line suddenly to avoid a renegade dog turd which had found it's way onto the cobblestones.  I low-sided and rang the handle bars, avec les mains, off of a pretty lamp post.  I am fortunate to have recovered quickly, yes.  But, one might also say I've been having hard times lately...

   During my recovery I discovered another musician who earned a spot in the tomb of the unknown soldier.  Hmm, this might have to be a series...
   What a story Baby Huey has. Dies at 26, has just one album to his credit, yet his influence is felt to this day.  And if you want to learn more, then you can simply listen to that album of his...but...you must listen to the entire album...hey, it's the Baby Huey STORY eh.  Ya gotta listen.  Not that Baby Huey will tell you his story outright....but this is the only real snapshot of him we have....a few 45s aside.  It's a dandy, produced by none other than Curtis Mayfield.  A little psychedelic, a little blacksploitation, a lotta soul, and topped off with social message of a universal flavour.  And of course, a few bits of scandal.
   Due to the unexpected and drug-addiction-aided death of the dearly departed, this album had to be finished and released posthumously. It was a busy autumn in 1970: Jimi, Sept 18th; Janis, Oct 4th; Baby Huey, Oct 28th.  Mayfield made use of what tracks he had and probably filled in the spaces with some instrumental bits.  This causes some to speculate as to how much Mayfield one is hearing and even what musicians might be playing on certain tracks.  Also worth noting, is a story living in the old newspapers about Baby Huey's bereaved mother winning the right to look at the financial books of a certain record company.  But, besides all of that, there are a lot of good vibes to be heard.....Oh yes, ....and many Hip-Hop artists have sampled stuff off this album... and some of them consider Baby Huey to be one of their earliest forefathers...
 
What an entertainer!....what a band!!....what a gas!!!...what's my name?...
.......the word is Thunderbird....
....Merciful sweet baby Jeeeeesus...that's some good times...even through the hard times.

- Rich









"When everything gets you down....
...you get up!
 And MAMBOOOOO!!!!
oooooooo
oooo
oo
o
- John Candy, 1984

No comments: